Sunday, January 11, 2009

What's sat?

Elias pointed to the DVD player and movie and asked "What's sat?" He's 13 months on Wednesday and he already says "what's sat?". Interesting that it's his first sentence. What does that mean? Jude's first sentence was "Drink, please.", and he has naturally followed with relatively good manners (please, thank you, good morning, etc) and a hearty appetite for milk. Elias doesn't say please (yet) and licks his lips when he wants a drink out of a sippy cup (he does something entirely different when he wants to nurse, and I'm not going into detail. Let's just say I stand away from him in the grocery store when I see he's getting hungry).
I've always encouraged the children in my life to be curious. I believe the teacher in the book series The Magic School Bus would say "Ask questions, make mistakes, get messy". And with exception to the get messy part (I can administer only so many baths a day), I want my kids to learn from what they do. There is only so much I can teach them. I can guide them in the way they should go, but they have to take the steps. It's something many of my friends who are raising their kids stuggle with. How do I teach my child that they don't have to go and make the same mistakes I did? The simple, but hard, answer is: you can't. No, really, you can't. You can only suggest, direct, and hope for the best.
Look at your life, the mistakes that you have made. Look at where you are now. Would you be here, at this very moment if you hadn't made those mistakes? Now, the more important question: Did you learn from them? Is the person you are now smarter than the person you were then? That, my friend, is maturity. Learning, growing, sharing, hoping for the best.
So, the next time Elias says "what's sat?" I get to smile, teach, direct, and hope that he doesn't fall flat on his face as many times as his mommy did. It's not so good on the nose.

No comments: